The thyroid gland secretes thyroid hormones and influences many metabolic functions, including energy levels. As men age, their body’s metabolism and production of thyroid hormones change, which can affect these vital systems. Understanding how these hormones affect men’s metabolism is critical to maintaining healthy overall health. Here, we will discuss what happens when there is a disruption or imbalance in thyroid hormone production and how we at Avanti Medical Center in Lehi, UT, can help you.
The Thyroid Gland and Its Role in the Body
Though small, the thyroid plays an enormous role in our body’s day-to-day functions. Situated in the front of our neck, below the Adam’s apple, this butterfly-shaped gland might be easy to overlook, but it’s essential for our overall well-being. These hormones influence and govern a wide range of bodily functions, from utilizing energy and producing heat to synthesizing proteins and interacting with other hormones. Besides its crucial role in metabolism, the thyroid also impacts various vital processes, including heart rate, brain development, body temperature, and muscle control.
How Thyroid Hormones Affect Men’s Metabolism and Energy Levels
Thyroid hormones, primarily thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) help control how the body uses food for energy in men. In men, an optimal balance of these hormones ensures robust energy levels, aids in muscle development, and maintains a consistent metabolic rate, which impacts weight management and overall vitality.
However, an imbalance, whether an overproduction or underproduction, can disrupt these processes. Hyperthyroidism can lead to accelerated metabolism, unintentional weight loss, and increased heart rate, while hypothyroidism might result in fatigue, weight gain, and reduced stamina. Thus, the thyroid’s role in governing men’s metabolic and energy balance is profound and essential.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Low Thyroid Function in Men?
While often considered more prevalent in women, thyroid dysfunction can and does affect men. Low thyroid function, or hypothyroidism, in men manifests through various signs and symptoms, some of which might be subtly different from those seen in women:
- Fatigue: Despite adequate sleep, men may feel persistently tired or need more energy.
- Weight Gain: Men may experience unanticipated weight gain or struggle to shed weight despite following a healthy diet and exercising regularly.
- Muscle Weakness and Aches: Men’s muscles might feel sore, weak, or tender to the touch.
- Decreased Libido: Men may notice a decline in sexual desire or performance issues with low thyroid function.
- Mood Alterations: Symptoms can include depression, irritability, or increased sensitivity to cold.
- Hair Loss: Hair loss is typically observed on the scalp and occasionally on the eyebrows, with the hair becoming progressively thinner.
- Cognitive Challenges: Some men experience challenges with their memory, ability to focus, or a general feeling of mental haziness.
- Dry Skin: The skin may have a rough texture, feel dry, and cause itchiness.
- Elevated Cholesterol Levels: High cholesterol is a serious health concern, particularly when it does not improve with diet, exercise, or medication. It is essential to manage high cholesterol levels as it can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Reduced Sweating: As men age, they may observe that their sweating has reduced.
How Can We Help Men With Thyroid Function?
Thyroid dysfunction can harm one’s health, particularly for men. Fortunately, bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) treatments can provide a solution. BHRT can offer a natural, effective treatment option for men experiencing decreased libido, weight gain, and fatigue.
Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy has become popular for men experiencing hormonal imbalances. It involves using hormones derived from plant sources, such as yams, to create customized treatments chemically identical to the ones produced by the human body. BHRT utilizes bioidentical hormones to replace those no longer produced in sufficient amounts. These hormones are chemically formulated to mimic the structure of the hormones within the body, providing a safe and effective approach to hormone therapy for men.
At our facility, we rely on BHRT pellets to help our patients achieve optimal hormone levels. These pellets are small, rice-sized implants that are placed under the skin near the hip. Once inserted, they slowly release hormones into the body over time, providing continuous hormone replacement therapy. The treatment is simple and straightforward, typically taking only 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
Most patients experience minimal discomfort during the insertion process and are able to return to their daily activities shortly thereafter. Depending on the man’s needs, BHRT pellet therapy may need to be repeated two to four times per year to maintain optimal hormone levels
What Qualifies You for BHRT Treatments?
When it comes to bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, it’s essential to understand if you qualify for this type of treatment. At Avanti Medical Center in Lehi, UT, we take the time to thoroughly review your health history and concerns before making a recommendation. BHRT may be a good option for those experiencing the symptoms mentioned. However, BHRT treatments are not recommended if you have a history of blood clotting disorders, heart disease, breast cancer, or a stroke. A consultation with us will help you determine if this treatment is right for you.
Reclaim Your Health and Wellness With Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy in Lehi, UT
At Avanti Medical Center in Lehi, UT, we are dedicated to providing high-quality BHRT treatments for men to improve thyroid health. We understand the importance of hormonal balance for overall health and wellness, so we offer bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. We are committed to providing personalized care and support to each patient, ensuring they receive the best treatment for their needs.